Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Dancing on the ramparts




Bonjour from Christine Crowson!!

The second week of VBS continues on despite exhaustion, sickness, or injuries! Here in Marseilles, I'm so encouraged in everything I've seen in these kids. There's little Noa who shares his huge toothy smile every time I catch a glimpse of him. He's my buddy who likes to hang all over me whenever we're together. Then there's energetic Michael who I tickle every time I pass as he exclaims chidingly, all the while hiding a delighted smile. It's amazing to see how the children have already changed. The first day was generally tame with the shyness still heavy among all the kids. However, each day they get more and more comfortable with us and thus harder and harder to control. They are such a joy just as our 6 children in Narbonne were. I think about them often and already miss them as a scroll through my camera pictures. My favorite memory is watching them up on proudly perform on stage by themselves after the week of us teaching them the songs and dance moves.

So, for all you back home, here's a typical VBS day from my perspective...

As soon as we arrive it's setting up time for whatever is needed. Then Christine Orsini, Sheridan Lamb, Lori Blount, and myself lead the children in music. Today we learned "I am the Way" and "Jump, Shout." It's a great way to let the kids release a lot of energy while being productive. Being very interactive with the kids--giving high fives or jumping around--is a great way to easily get to know them.

Then off to lunch prep and quickly have another music session. By this time, my fellow music leaders wish we could sit back and make the kids jump around for us while we catch a quick nap :) But then the smallest group, the seagulls, arrives and their excitement and energy rejuvenate us for a last session before we enjoy our lunch together.

After lunch, it's science time. As Aunt Colleen previously explained, science takes all hands on deck--water, bubbles, rocks, shells, and paper flying everywhere! Today we made the whole downstairs fill up with bubbles, which soon taught us we should have done it outside. Aunt Colleen wishes to include her thankfulness to Kyle Reilly and myself for all our cleanup afterward.

All and all, VBS is going excellently and keeps us so busy we can only miss home in the evening. All of you are in my thoughts and I can't wait to come home and share many more memories!

Au revoir!

-Christine Crowson

No comments:

Post a Comment